Darkwood Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darkwood Tower

The forums for commentary, general discussion, and fun for everything related to Darkwood Tower Publishing

You are not connected. Please login or register

Initiates of the Black Book

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Initiates of the Black Book Empty Initiates of the Black Book Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Darkwood Tower

Darkwood Tower
Admin

Hey everyone,

Initiates of the Black Book is starting! So go download the free files and let me know if there are any major errors or what have you. Initiates will cover: what is role playing?, rolling attributes, choosing a race, choosing a class, finishing touches (alingment, age, weight, religion, etc), proficiencies (weapon, combat, non-weapon), equipment, hirelings, magic, combat and encounters, arcane spells and divine spells (also an organized list which lists them by level, and page number).

I'll put up updates as every few chapters get finished (so the first update will probably be going up by the end of the week and should consist of: what is role playing, rolling attributes, choosing a race, choosing a class, finishing touches, and hopefully proficiencies).

I will need some help with the proficiency section. I am going to use three:

- Using what the GM thinks you should know (i.e. all peasants know how to fish or whatever)

- Secondary Skills (Professions essentially, "I was a *rolls* Tanner" GM: "Ah okay, then you know how to skin an animal, treat the hides, and even work with the leather a bit. You can also appraise leather products.") -- Note, this is my favorite because it was what I always used.

- Non-Weapon Proficiencies

This is where I'm going to need help. In Non-Weapon Proficiencies I want to differentiate between skills used in round based encounters and skills used as role playing aides (i.e. cobbling vs blind fighting).

This idea I had years ago (around 1998) when my group at the time, hated one player who was playing a elf ranger wielding two scimitars who was consistently misunderstood. I wish I was joking. Anywho, he took blind fighting and other combat oriented non-weapon proficiencies and was really power gaming.

So what we did was change it so that Blind Fighting required 1 NWP slot AND 1 WP slot. Thus reducing the number of weapons he could be proficient in, and giving him some kind of penalty.

So this would become a "combat" proficiency. Other things that could go hear: "Healing" with "Apothecary" taking the non-weapon proficiency space healing would loose. Weapon Specialization is also a Combat Skill already in the rules (available ONLY to fighters).

Thoughts?

https://darkwoodtower.board-directory.net

2Initiates of the Black Book Empty Re: Initiates of the Black Book Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Phadeout

Phadeout

What you need is a skill uses that uses the Characters Stats and Level. A'la SIEGE system from Castles and Crusades.

I think this is best system, as it allows for background and class to have the majority of impact on what a person can do, with no need for "skills" of any kind!

Now, I do have a system that works like this (and is not the SIEGE mechanic, so it would be free of copy write) but I'm hesitant to share it since well... I guess I kind of own it - and don't want it "ripped off". So I'd need your thoughts on that sort of stuff.

3Initiates of the Black Book Empty Re: Initiates of the Black Book Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Darkwood Tower

Darkwood Tower
Admin

I would be willing to include it as an "optional rule" but I think that it is important to include the original three systems:

- No skill system (a la what do you know?)
- Secondary Skill System (You have an overall profession you might have learned as a child, and thus might have access to certain skill sets do it)
- Detailed Skill System (all the player hand book stuff)

I could include a fourth option, and am happy to provide acknowledgement of source. you can even maintain control over the system.

But the original three will go in. The AD&D 2nd Ed skill system was very popular in every group I ever played with. It was one of the few constants of multiple gaming groups, so to keep the feel of 2nd, it needs to stay.

https://darkwoodtower.board-directory.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum